Anthony Schulte was also known as Anton
or Tony. His naturalization papers described him as being 5ft 5in tall,
with blue eyes and dark hair.
He was born on 9 July 1857 in Kirchilpe, Westfalen,
Germany to Anton and Margaretha (Noellecke) Schulte. He was christened
on 10 July 1857 in the Catholic Church in Dorlar, Westfalen, Preussen.
His godparents were Anton Schroder and Theresia Schulte. The priest of
record was Father Schoene.
Kirchilpe is nearby Altenilpe where Anton's
future wife, Wilhelmina Knoche was born. But they did not get to know each
other until they were both living in Detroit, Michigan in the late 1880's.
Anthony became a U.S. citizen on 2 April 1892 in
Detroit. He and his younger brother, August, departed from the port of Bremen, Germany on the ship Oder,
and arrived in New York at Castle Garden on 16 October 1880.
Anthony co-owned and operated a grocery store
for over twenty years called Schulte & Erdman Groceries & Liquors,
located at 932-934 Congress. His daughter, Lidwina, said her father was the first
grocer in the city to offer delivery.
He married Wilhelmina Knoche, daughter of Johann
Joseph Knoche and Elisabeth Voss, on 23 April 1890 in Detroit. Father U. Walersinski officiated.
Michael Geck and Elizabeth Wiethoff witnessed the ceremony. Tony and Minnie had nine sons
and two daughters, the youngest born in 1906.
A prominent article with photo in the Detroit
Free Press of 17 May 1907 mentioned Anthony belonged to several organizations.
He was also a member of the Westphalia Shooting Club in Detroit, comprised
mostly of businessmen from the Eastern Market area, which was located on
Gratiot opposite the old Hessian Road from 1898 until about 1915.
After rallying from an illness which caused
him to spend the winter in Asheville, he had a relapse and died at his
home at 949 Congress at 2 a.m. on 16 May 1907 of acute lobar pneumonia
at age 49. He had seemed much improved when he returned home six weeks
Anthony's funeral began at his home and continued
at Our Lady of Help Catholic Church. He was buried on 20 May 1907 at Mt.
Elliott Cemetery in Detroit.